5 Steps to Change Your Tire in Huntington, NY
How To Change a Tire in Huntington, NY
Every successful driver must know how to change their flat tire in Huntington, VY in the case of an emergency. Although several Ford dealerships near Woodbury, Elwood, and Melville offer roadside maintenance, it is always more comforting to explore the basics of replacing a tire by yourself.
How To Get Started
You will require a few items to get started. You will most likely have received an owner’s manual along with the car. Remember keeping this document in a secure location. You will typically need a fully inflated spare tire, a jack, and a lug wrench. These essentials are typically available in the car tool kit. Besides these, you also must stock up on torchlights, a pair of gloves, a block of wood to secure the jack, as well as wheel wedges. Also, remember making note of your spare tire’s air pressure regularly.
The following set of specific instructions will assist you to change your spare tire easily:
- Place your vehicle on a level road, away from traffic and turn on the hazard lights to indicate to other drivers that you have stopped due to an emergency.
- Properly apply your parking brakes and additional wheel wedges under your forward and rear tires to prevent the car from rolling over.
- If your car has hubcaps covering the lug nuts, use the flat end on your lug wrench to discard them. Gradually turn the lug nuts counterclockwise until they are loosened and not completely removed.
- The standard manual will describe where exactly the jack needs to be carefully placed. Slip a wooden block under the jack and transport the car six inches off the ground.
- Completely remove the lug nuts and the flat tire. Put in your spare tire into the lug bolts until you can instantly see through the rim. Slightly lower your vehicle and carefully replace the lug nuts and tighten them partially. Next, fully lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts fully, and replace the hub caps if necessary.
This will relieve you drive for a few more miles until you arrive at a service station in Huntington, NY. Do get your tire checked by an experienced Ford professional at Huntington Ford in NY for assurance and refer to the vehicle owner’s manual for further information.